Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday

Hello everyone! Its been a crazy week. Let me update you!

Tuesday

Since the beginning of the new year, I have been going room by room in our apartment and cleaning and reorganizing EVERYTHING. I hate clutter and disorganization! A few weeks ago I tackled the bathroom, and Tuesday was my day for the bedroom. I tore up the entire room, emptying all drawers, closet, etc. It was a complete war zone! I then received a phone call from Kristi that Bobcat was sick and needed to go to the vet immediately. Stephen had taken the car to Glenview for work that day, so we were going to either take a taxi or train (Kristi doesn't have a car, as most people do not in the city). Thankfully our wonderful coworker Christina let us borrow her car. I left my mess of a bedroom and we took Bobcat to the vet. They ran various tests on him, not finding much but an elevation in white blood cells, which could mean an infection. I have such a huge affection for animals, seeing Bobcat sick and having tests done on him was very emotional ... he's not even my cat!! Kristi and I had a laugh about how crazy we might be as parents! So we took him back home to rest and Kristi back to work. Then I came back to organizing the crazyness that I created in bedroom! I worked quickly to get it done before Stephen got home from work; he doesn't react well to chaos. It turned out very beautiful and sparkly! I love going into the bedroom now!! Now the trick is to keep it that way ...

Tuesday would have also been the 20th birthday for Charlie, my furry, four-legged soulmate. I still think about him all the time. He was the most perfect soul and the most perfect dog. I get teary eyed writing about him now! I will go through my pictures sometime and post one of him. I love him so much!

Wednesday

Wednesday Kristi and I were off for another one of our adventures! We started at Buffalo Exchange, where I sold some of my clothes and shoes that I had cleaned out of the closet on Tuesday. Then we went to breakfast at a restaurant neither one of us had been to before called Victory's Banner. Its a vegetarian breakfast/lunch restaurant with a seperate vegan menu. There were so many delicious sounding dishes on the menu, it was really difficult to decide! I wanted to try the bacon cheeseburger, but I really had my heart set on breakfast. I guess I will have to go back! I started with a mug of organic mint tea and deciced on the tofu scramble with mushrooms, spinach, sun dried tomatoes and soy sausage. It was served with fried potatoes and hearth bread. It was very delicious! The fried potatoes were so yummy. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very warm and inviting too. It was decorated with pale blue walls, white tables and chairs, and bright yellow booths. Each table had a vase with a real yellow orchid as well! Kristi and I both touched it to see if it was real! The staff was friendly and helpful as well. I look forward to taking Stephen there to try it. I think he'll really like it!

After breakfast we got on the train to State Street and Michigan Avenue for some shopping. Mmm ... shopping. We went to Nordstrom Rack, where I got a pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs sunglasses. I love them! Then to H&M, Urban Outfitters, and Nordstrom. I got some really cute skinny jeans from Nordstrom. Thanks Mom and Dad (I used my giftcard)!! By then we were exhausted and made our way home!! Another fun and eventful Wednesday :)

Thursday

I worked!

Friday

Alright, we finally made it to today. Phew! Today I am now organizing the kitchen. I have already torn it apart, but I took a break to soak some beans for dinner tonight and update this thing.

That is the disaster I created. I have 4 hours before Stephen gets home to put it back together. And to make some dinner!! The menu tonight is 16 Bean Soup and Cornbread muffins! YUM!


16 Bean Soup
served 8-10

1 lb. Goya 16 Bean Mix
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalk of celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
6 cups of vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
sea salt and pepper to taste


Soak and drain beans. In a large saucepan, combine beans and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender.


Cornbread Muffins
makes 12 muffins
(This is the BEST cornbread I have ever eaten, I will never make anything else!)

1 cup maple syrup
1 1/4 cups soy milk
1/4 safflower oil (or vegetable)
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Preheat oven to 400. Line a 12 cup muffin tin. Combine the maple syrup, soy milk, and oil in a medium bowl and mix well. In another bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix just until well combined (the batter is pretty runny, this is normal).
Pour the batter into the muffin tin, and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. They are so yummy!!


I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT DINNER TONIGHT! I hope everyone is well!

Love,
Steph

2 comments:

  1. That soup looks so good and so easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you undid all my unpacking in your kitchen??? It's okay I understand!!! Good for you, we've been getting clutter organized in our life as well.

    ReplyDelete